16 May 2009

On the Skids in Carbon Canyon #1563




Last night at 1:20 a.m. one of the loudest screeching of tires I've heard in my five plus years in the Canyon occurred. Now, I'm not saying that the latest entry in the ongoing "On the Skids" feature came from this, but the skidmarks and broken glass in the above pictures, taken today at 4:15 p.m., were not there on Friday.

Maybe some folks in Olinda Village could say more accurately when this latest Canyon accident happened, because the scene is about 1/8 of a mile down the road from the Village on the north side of the road with the skidmarks coming from the eastbound lane and running probably around 150 feet or more across the highway to the asphalt curb

. So, to recap, this was either Friday or Saturday night (a weekend), a skidmark at about 150 feet long indicating a pretty high rate of speed, someone who crossed the median into oncoming lanes, and a fair amount of small pieces of glass littering the side of the road. It's not too hard to build a possible scenario for this, but, pending any information, I'll stop there.

Finally, as I was leaving the area to head home this afternoon, two motorcyclists going at a high rate of speed flew by me doing wheelies. If only I'd had my camera ready when that happened!

No comments: