Then, community resident Ray Byworth stepped forward and offered a ca. 1960 newsletter image that showed the "Hiltscher Mineral Springs" resort, which existed on his property along Carbon Canyon Road, just a short distance east from the San Bernardino/Orange counties line. Information on Fred Hiltscher, whose family were prominent in Fullerton (Hiltscher Park, for example, being a well-known amenity there, but less savory allusions to Ku Kux Klan sympathies are also linked to some family members.) Two weeks after the census post, one on the Hiltscher Mineral Springs resort was uploaded thanks to Mr. Byworth's comment.
Now, within the last few weeks, a new aspect to the story has emerged, thanks to some photographs obtained from David Arnold, owner of a 1938 photo album that features remarkable images of the devastating floods that ravaged much of Orange County (and elsewhere in southern California) during that winter. There were, however, several images taken in Sleepy Hollow and one specifically of the front of what was called the "Carbon Canyon Mineral Springs" and which was previously the Hiltscher Mineral Springs. That image is below:
Because the 1940 census had information on those employed at the springs, including its manager, Victor Baden, who had lived elsewhere in 1935 (a question asked on this enumeration), but who may have been the manager in 1938 when the photos in the album were taken.
In any case, this set of photographs shows the same building from image provided by Mr. Byworth in the April post, but with the different name for the institution. In addition, there are other several other photos that show a two-story frame structure but which is not identified as to location.
Here, then is the selection of images:
Notably, the above view was labeled on the photo album as a "Front View," though it appears to be from the rear of the structure, assuming that the slope at the bottom is the bank of Carbon [Canyon] Creek and the other side faced Carbon Canyon Road.
The view above, however, while definitely of the same side, does look different because of the exposure, with lighter tones in the photo than the one further up.
This shot seems as if it was taken around one side and certainly does take in the same side (at left) as that in the image before it, as well as another side of the structure. Obviously, there are a number of oak trees throughout the property and, in the view above this one, what looks like a sycamore.
Finally, this view is inscribed as the "Recreation Lot," though it is not entirely clear what forms of recreational activity might have gone on here--perhaps horseshoes--though there is a bench behind the oak tree at the right and there are structures off to the left.
Thanks to Mr. Byworth, it is known that this structure is a short distance east of the Carbon Canyon Mineral Springs on the same side of Carbon Canyon Road, but at the east side of the intersection of the highway with Rosemary Lane.
These are very rare photographs showing Sleepy Hollow and its mineral springs resort in the late 1930s and add more to the fascinating history of the community and of Carbon Canyon generally.