05 February 2009

On the Skids in Carbon Canyon #s 837-838: When It Rains, It Pours

There are enough careless and reckless drivers on Carbon Canyon Road under normal circumstances, but when it rains there's another dynamic involved.

Tonight at 6:30 as I was bringing my young kids home from school, I was nearly rearended by a minivan as I approached Rosemary Lane from the east. This is at least the third time I had to watch my rear view carefully and then pull ahead to avoid being hit. This was a problem of following too close, not paying attention, and being unable to slow properly on a rain-slicked road.

The incident follows (!) one on Monday when I was heading down the hill toward Brea from Olinda and was tailgated by a blue pickup, who decided that my going 55 in a 50 zone just wasn't fast enough for him. I have to say, though, that as often as things like this happen, they've been coming in bunches lately.

At any rate, I'd like to make an offer to anyone who cares about dangerous driving on Carbon Canyon Road. Send me your comments, providing as much detail as you would like, and I'll compile them and send them on to city staff, councilmembers, and police departments in Brea and Chino Hills. I'm not sure how many anecdotes to collect or when to pass them on, but if there are enough people interested in contributing, I'd be happy to take it from there. Who knows, it might actually mean something.

No comments: